Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

Father and son proclaiming faith, Fotosearch.com

To me, the word father has two meanings, one describes who a person is and the other says what a person does. What a person does in life is based on WHO THEY ARE. A man has the capacity to be a FATHER, but a male doesn't have to be a man to father a child.

Mother, father and daughter hiking, Fotosearch.comI have learned that both my manhood and identity are challenged as I tried to fulfill my role as a father; I believe this happens with all men. We struggle, but who really knows our struggles? Who can we talk to? Who understands?

It is Christ who is intimately acquainted with me. He knows both my struggles as a father and a man. His promise to me is to never leave or forsake me.

Father and son on the beach, Fotosearch.comFirst, I have always been comforted by the reassuring forgiveness, love, patience, understanding and guidance of Jesus Christ. In this, I share a bond and heritage with all Christian fathers: Fatherhood and Christ.

Through Christ, I learn of the love and grace of our Heavenly Father. The pattern He gives me is a clear, truthful and perfect example of fatherhood.

Secondly, I have learned parental love through the life of my wife. As a parent, she has remained constant, tireless and caring. I find it amazing that women have a capacity to teach men how to love without ever saying a word. I share this bond with her and others who are called to be parents.

Children kissing their father, Fotosearch.comFinally, my children have given me opportunities to be patient with them but they have been infinitely more patient with me; their love knows no bounds. I believe this is why Jesus enjoyed the presence of children. He saw in them what many eyes fail to see; unfailing love and trust. Through them, I share a unique bond with others called to be fathers.


God bless you today and every day.

1 comments:

Jane said...

Happy belated Father's Day to you. :) I'm sure you're a great dad. May God bless you with wisdom as you enter into those teenage years of your kids.