Friday, February 8, 2013

Peace, Be Still

Peace Be Still
Peace, be still

"On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them,Let us cross over to the other side.Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him,Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?

Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea,
Peace, be still!And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But He said to them,Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another,Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!

This passage in Mark 4, documents the event which occurred while Christ and His disciples were out to sea, in the midst of a storm. As I read through these verses in Mark 4, I was reminded that just like the disciples, my attitude has at times been similar toward Christ when I was in the midst of distress.

I had thoughts such as:
  1. Does God hear me?
  2. Does He care?
  3. Has He forgotten about me?
Like the disciples, I thought so easily, don’t You care that I am perishing?

How easy is it to allow myself to think Christ doesn’t care about me? To assume, He sleeps while watching over me.

The truth however is that Christ is ever vigilant, always watchful; totally concerned and invested in my life.

As I pondered these verses, I realized that Christ spoke the word of peace to the wind and sea. Note, He said, “Peace”. Though the winds stormed, and the sea rose up in opposition, Christ said, “Peace”. He greeted the wind and sea with the word of peace.

Shouldn’t we have that mind when we are faced with the storms of life?

Upon greeting the wind and sea, He simply said, “Be still”. The wind and sea obeyed His voice.

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!

Should we obey Christ as the wind and sea?

No matter what the circumstance, no matter how dire the straights appear, I believe Christ will speak to it. Your job is laying off employees, let the word of Christ comfort you with peace. The Israelites stood afraid before the Red Sea as the army of Pharaoh pursued them. Moses reminded them to:

Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall see again no more forever.

Your child is afflicted with an illness; hear the word of Christ speak peace to you. You cannot pay the rent, hear the word of peace. Hear the word of peace spoken in your life, whatever the situation or circumstance.

Let us always remember that Christ says, “Peace, be still.

written by MTJ

A Note of Thanks: I would just like to say that I appreciate each of you who visit My Thought-filled Journey. Taking time out of your schedule to read a post on this blog is encouraging to me. Many of those who visit, will from time to time leave a comment. Whether a comment is left is not important. What is important, is that you came. I do hope you find encouragement and inspiration in these words. Please know I will pray with you regarding any circumstance you may be facing. Feel free to write me to say "Hello", request prayer, or share what God is doing in your life. I have not said it enough, but thank you for the light of Chist in your life which illuminates the way for us all.

Spiritual Sunday'sNote: This post is linked to Spiritual Sundays (hosted by Charlotte).

8 comments:

Donna said...

Beautiful. I love that portion of scripture. Our Lord is aware of our every need.

Lill said...

Peace, be still...absolutely, and well said...I love it!!

Anita Johnson said...

I always enjoy your perspective. Peace to you too.

Anonymous said...

Ideally, peace and harmony go together. But really, achieving harmony usually means first shaking up the status quo ... and that's often anything but peaceful!
I've been waiting to discover new peace!
Your post has landed my feet firmly on the ground for a heavy dose of reality. I'll have to take a hard look at God’s peace and discuss what needs to be done to make it mine. Only after an honest connection to God’s peace, I can truly start to build something that will last.
This is one more day of serious, intense praying as it comes into challenging aspects with the storms of life and …, yes, no fear, because God cares. The answers are there if I dig deeply enough…I just need to be straightforward, while also having in mind that God hears me!
After some time, changing my turbulent thoughts and knowing God hasn't forgotten me, I'll hopefully be on my way toward a state of harmony in my life! Thank you.

Sharon said...

Great post. I have lately thought of that scene in the stormy sea. I know that Jesus told the storm to "Be still." But, I also know that He was talking to my storm-tossed spirit.

"Sharon, peace. Be still."

GOD BLESS!

Pamela said...

God has been speaking peace to my heart this weekend, too. Your writing has reinforced those words to my heart.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Beautiful reminder of Peace...I need His Peace, always

Ayobami Ogedengbe SPEAKS said...

Nice Word. When you confront the storms of your life with calmness (peace), it can't but Be Still. Visit http://christgladiators.blogspot.com for Christian Motivation/Expositions. Bless you.