Friday, October 4, 2013

Designed for Purpose

What is Your Purpose?
What is your purpose?

Michael Jordan: Hall of Fame basketball player and globally recognized as one of the greatest all time players

Michael Phelps: World Class swimmer, multiple gold medal winning Olympic Champion

Ludwig van Beethoven: World re-known, famous and influential composer; principal figure in the transition between the Classical and Romantic eras of Western Music.

Paul Gauguin: World re-known French artist recognized for his experimental use of colors and synthetist style which led to the Post-Impressionist style of art.

Albert Einstein: Nobel Prize winning, German Born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity and is recognized as one of the world’s most intelligent men.

Martin Luther King Jr.: American clergyman, theologian, Civil Rights Activist, and Nobel Prize winner, who is recognized as the leading figure in the civil rights struggle of African Americans during the decade of the 60’s.

Leonardo da Vinci: Italian Renaissance painter, sculptor, architect, musician, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist and writer.

Throughout the history of civilization, men and women have done amazing and incredible things that have advanced civilization and in doing so became historical figures. Each recognized their purpose. I don't know if they heard a voice within crying out for expression. I don't know if they understood that they were designed for purpose; but I do know they were enabled to achieve their purpose.

I would like to believe that all individuals recognize their call to a purpose. A purpose some have answered and in doing so, achieved what they were created to do. Many people don’t ever win a Nobel Peace prize, Olympic Gold Medal, compose unforgettably timeless music, champion the cause of human rights, or make discoveries in science, medicine and technology; and yet they still have a purpose. I say this because we are all custom-designed for purpose by God. He has put purpose in you!

The bible itself speaks of purpose:

But indeed for this purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth…” (Exodus 9:16, NKJV)

God has placed a purposeful gift of talent within each of us so that the revelation of His tremendous love, power and grace is made known through you via your talent.

God has a purpose for each of our lives!

Knowing God’s purpose makes all the difference between living in fulfillment of His will and living in a way which never recognizes someone greater than myself is at work in me.

How do I discover my purpose?

I believe that in each of us exists a burning desire, a passion crying to be fulfilled. This desire and passion is good, but it can become perverted, corrupted and ultimately, unfulfilled through my own lack of understanding.

"my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge." (Hosea 4:6, NIV)

But God wants to inform you that you do indeed have a purpose; He Himself has placed it within you. Though it lies dormant within you, your purpose is ready to be cultivated by you that it will one day spring forth like a downpour of rain from heaven.

May He grant you according to your heart’s desire, and fulfill all your purpose.” (Palm 20:4, NKJV)

God wants us to fulfill the purpose for which we were created; having placed in your heart that very desire to achieve it.

As a young boy, I read about computers and was captivated by this new technology. This desire burned inside me causing me to seek outwardly what was deep inside my heart. I see now that God opened the door of opportunity which allowed me to fulfill the desire within me. Knowing that God is no respecter of anyone, I know what he has done for others, he also did for me; and he will do the same for you.

I can remember speaking with others about purpose and being amazed at their confusion in knowing what God’s purpose was for them. Purpose is not some mystery which remains hidden from one’s eyes; purpose cries out from deep within us. It is always there, seeking expression from us. It is the voice of one's hidden talent, a God-given gift that wants to rejoice in the knowledge that I not only have a gift from God, but I use it in the way it was designed in me: as my gift to God.

Paul writes:
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus...” (Colossians 3:17, NIV)

My purpose is an expression of my appreciation for God’s love and grace. I don’t do it for the admiration of others; I do it to reveal the awesome power of God.

How do I fulfill my purpose?

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.” (Proverbs 16:3, NIV)

Dedicating myself and the works produced from my life requires my recognition that God supports me. God wants me to fulfill that which answers the age-old question, why am I here?

What is it that cries from the depths of your spirit? What is it that you have not fulfilled, yet cannot escape the thought of doing?

It’s in you, no matter how much time has elapsed since the thought first occurred. You know it’s there inside you, needing you to express what only you can.

Art, music, sports, medicine, science, technology, service to others, janitor, cook, housekeeper, father, mother, caregiver; whatever you do, do as unto the Lord. You were designed for purpose by God, it's up to you to fulfill it, but you're not alone. God wants to help you realize the very reason you are here. God will help you cultivate your gift, your talent, your purpose; so that you will express it as a gift to Him.

A Note of Thanks: I would just like to say that I appreciate each of you who visit My Thought-filled Journey. Taking time out of your schedule to read a post on this blog is encouraging to me. Many of those who visit, will from time to time leave a comment. Whether a comment is left is not important. What is important, is that you came. I do hope you find encouragement and inspiration in these words. Please know I will pray with you regarding any circumstance you may be facing. Feel free to write me to say "Hello", request prayer, or share what God is doing in your life. I have not said it enough, but thank you for the light of Christ in your life which illuminates the way for us all.

Spiritual Sunday'sNote: This post is linked to Spiritual Sundays (hosted by Charlotte).

4 comments:

Rozalija Baričević said...

What is the purpose of my existence? I've been looking for this answer from my earliest childhood. I saw myself in the presence of my parents, my brother, and my grandparents. I sought and exercised myself in relationships with other children, in the nature of which I learned the principles of change. As an adult, I was looking for purpose of my existence in my marriage, in my children, in my job, science, history, technology… I didn't find the answer, because I could not feel it, touch it, I didn't have any material evidence for that purpose. However, during all these years, I have felt the awesome power that inspired my energy and hope that I would discover the secret. Now I know that was the Holy Spirit.
Now when I feel God’s presence, I let Him stay in my life with joy and gratefulness. I am still crying from the depths of my spirit. I am still searching for fulfillment. Dear MTJ, I know it’s in me. Thank you for your support in my searching.

MTJ said...

Rozalija:
I believe that one's fulfillment is found when I have clarity regarding my purpose; my purpose should always reveal to others the life of Jesus Christ in me. When my purpose allows me to walk in the light of Christ, I'm filled with joy and peace. Praying for you.

Anita Johnson said...

I enjoyed this post as usual, all the way down to your answer in the comments..."my purpose should always reveal to others the life of Jesus Christ in me".

MTJ said...

Anita:
Thank you so much for your always insightful comments. You seem to notice what seems so subtle to me, and yet you have the ability to say something which escaped my view. Blessing to you and family.