Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pure Joy

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. (James 1:2-3, NIV)

The bible says: “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.” (James 1:2-3, NIV)

What is pure joy?

Webster's Dictionary defines joy as: "a feeling of great happiness".

The Greek word for joy is, chara (khar-ah'), from chairo (khar'ee-ro); meaning cheerfulness, i.e., calm delight: ----gladness, joy (-ful).

The bible also says, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy...” (Galatians 5:22-23, NIV)

Joy is not something we manufacture, it not a feeling; it is a gift from God through the Holy Spirit which enables the believer to face the disappointments, adversities, and failures of life without becoming discouraged.

Although pure joy can be revealed when all is good in one’s life, more often than not, the demonstration of pure joy occurs when the believer faces trials. A person may smile in church on Sunday, but the minute they exit the door, there is despair. But the believer who experiences the fruitful joy of the Spirit, does not despair, they have hope, encouragement and the awareness that what they face is simply an opportunity for our Heavenly Father to demonstrate that He alone is God.

What’s the secret to experiencing pure joy?

Trusting in the redemptive work of Jesus Christ and being filled with the Spirit of God.

Think back to a memorable event in your life (like a surprise birthday party). Moments like that filled me with a sense of gladness; I was delighted because I felt special. I believe this is what happens in the spirit realm; we are honored to receive the privilege of God’s intervening grace in our life. Realizing that truth delights me with gladness; I have a joy which is unspeakable. I am calm because I have nothing to fear or worry about. God has taken ownership of my life, and for that I can be glad.

I remember reading about Jesus washing the feet of his disciples and when he came to Peter, he (Peter)told Jesus not to wash his feet. When Jesus told him that if He didn’t do it, Peter would have no place with Him, Peter replied to give him a bath!

I believe when we face the trials of life, we must bath our feet in the joy of the Lord. We don’t need a bath. The realization of God’s Spirit living in us, the truth of His love and grace for us, showers our life with joy. If you’re going through a trial right now, and feeling discouraged, take a moment to be bathed in the pure joy of the Lord.

MTJ

A Note of Thanks: I would just like to say Thank you, to each of you who visit My Thought-filled Journey. Taking time out of your busy schedule to read a post on this blog encourages me. Many of those who visit, will from time to time leave a comment, but it really doesn't matter whether a comment is left. What matters, is that you came here. I hope you find encouragement and inspiration in these words. Please know I will pray with you regarding any circumstance you may be facing. Feel free to write me to say "Hello", request prayer, or share what God is doing in your life. I have not said it enough, but thank you for the light of Christ in your life which illuminates the way for us all.

Note: This post is linked to Spiritual Sundays (hosted by Charlotte).Spiritual Sunday's

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Great reminders of the power of God's Strength revealed in JOY! When do we need JOY the most? When our faith is tested...it was good to come back for a visit today...I'm so glad I took a 'stroll' in the blog world to come by for a visit! It's been a while...have a blessed, favored day MTJ!

Anita Johnson said...

I'm glad to have visited here too. At first the use of the word joy seems out of place in the same sentence as the word trials, but over the years I have seen and felt the joy of trusting in God's power. His word is Truth!

Esther Joy said...

After a time when our family had been through great tragedy, my younger sis made the remark to me that it seems we only truly appreciate JOY when we have experienced great sorrow.

MTJ said...

Hello Esther Joy:
As I read your comment (I appreciate what you have shared here), my thoughts were what the scripture says in Hebrews 12, verse 2:
"looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (NKJV)

No matter what we find ourselves faced with in life, we can be assured that the Lord has promised to "never leave or forsake" us.

I have had moments when it seemed like no words could offer or provide me with any hope or consolation. In my despair, I gained strength and encouragement by realizing the truth of God’s grace.

I want you to know that I will be praying for you and family.