Saturday, December 10, 2011

Elijah and the Widow

There was a famine...
    throughout the land.
All hope was lost...
    in the desert sand.
The constant voices...
    of hunger cries.
Without food to eat...
    they all would soon die.

There was this widow...
    in Zarephath.
Soon to be blessed...
    along life’s path.
She stood at the gate...
    gathering her wood.
When she heard a man speak...
    from where he stood.

Please bring me water,
    to drink from a cup.
And a morsel of bread,
    so that I may sup.
She spoke to Elijah...
    and here’s what she said.
As the Lord God lives,
    my son goes unfed.

Look man of God...
    I’ll tell you no lie.
I'll prepare a meal...
    and then we shall die.
I have a handful of flour...
    and a little bit of oil.
These sticks in my hand...
    are the fruit of my toil.

Then Elijah said to her,
    “You have nothing to fear.
    God knows your need...
    He’s seen your tears.
Go make the bread...
    and bring it to me.
God will do wonders...
    a blessing you’ll see.
"

Here’s what will happen...
    to your flour and oil.
He’ll give the increase...
    none of which will spoil.
An endless supply...
    until He sends rain.
His blessings endure...
    The Lord will sustain.

She chose to obey...
    giving God’s word a try.
The flour remained plentiful,
    the oil never ran dry.
When God says to you...
    "Hear what I say.
You’ll walk in faith...
    When you choose to obey.
"
                                Poem written by MTJ
Note: This post is linked to Spiritual Sundays (hosted by Charlotte).Spiritual Sundays

11 comments:

Wanda said...

A great poetic summary of that passage of scripture MTJ.

Pamela said...

Oh, I love this story. The widow found faith in spite of her circumstances. I want that faith to be evident in me.

Ruth said...

Beautiful! What a nice rendition of this faith-inspiring story.

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

Thank you MTJ for this inspirational and loving poem. God bless, Lloyd

Charlotte said...

Wonderful story from the Bible told in a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Sharon said...

Wishing you and yours a very Merry (and thought-filled) CHRISTmas, and a New Year full of God's richest blessings.

Keep writing, MTJ - you have so much to say that we all need to hear!

GOD BLESS!

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I just dropped in MTJ to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and to let you know how much I enjoy reading your posts. May our Lord continue to shine through you and your blog ministry. God bless, Lloyd

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I just dropped in MTJ to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and to let you know how much I enjoy reading your posts. May our Lord continue to shine through you and your blog ministry. God bless, Lloyd

JT said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas day. I enjoy your blog. God bless you.

Judy said...

Merry Christmas MTJ!

Love the story about the widow of Zeraphath. The miracle that God did in her life can be done in ours as well. May you and your family continue to have a blessed week in the Lord.

Blessings,
Judy

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

I love this story, it is so ordinary of a real life situation. God cares about each and every one of us.Blessings Crystal Mary